Sent: Monday, 6 June 2016 7:02 a.m.
Morning – the wind has eased a little this morning, as forecast, after four days of severe west and southwest winds. The Norfolk Guardian has been steaming up and down the east coast most of that time apart from about 30 hours that they have been able to anchor over that time. Yesterday afternoon we packed up operations a litte early as the wind continued to rise through the day. The Norfolk Guardian recorded a gust of 92.3 kts in the afternoon. They also recorded a 90 kt gust on Thursday night and have been coping with regular blasts over 50kts. We are all feeling for the team and crews onboard both the Norfolk Guardian and the Evohe.
On the ground we have made good progress and succeeded in erecting the framing for the hangar on Saturday. About half of the ballast water was pumped up from its current location onto the decking yesterday. We now wait for suitably low winds to put the cover on – looking like Tuesday. The frames of the two personnel shelters are also up and again too windy yesterday to put covers on. We had debladed the helicopters last Wednesday evening ahead of the predicted high winds so the heli crew will be putting blades back on this morning and fingers crossed we get some flying in today. The next three days, Tuesday and Wednesday in particular (still residual high seas this morning) look workable. We have the diggers ready to fly back onto the ship.
All team are well, days going fast, everyones tent’s are holding!
Further update this morning…Norfolk Guardian keen to head away today (afternoon) as rough weather coming in again.
Evohe is also keen to leave tonight. They will have all staff on board who are coming back. If the work is not completed they will sit tight . Steve